Petrology, geochemistry and microstructure of oceanic lithosphere. Multi-disciplinary approach to understand magmatic/rock interactions in the oceanic lithosphere during primary magmas ascension from mantle to the surface.
Oct. 2004 – Sept. 2008:
PhD Student at Geosciences Montpellier, France. “Magmatic impregnation of oceanic lithosphere: Microstructural and geochemical study of gabbroic sequences drilled at Mid-Atlantic Ridge supervised by B. Ildefonse, co-supervised by M. Godard).
Master Thesis ‘Marine Geosciences’ (IUEM, Brest, France). “Petro-geochemistry study of basaltic lavas from Blanco fracture zone, NE Pacific (Blancovin expedition), heterogeneity of mantellic source and magmatic cyclicity” supervised by M. Caroff and C. Hémond (Marine Geosciences Laboratory).
Master’s degree in Earth Sciences, volcanology specialty (University of Clermont-Fd 2, France) “Trace elements study of carbonates from Velay carbonatites” supervised by G. Chazot (Magmas and Volcanoes laboratory).
Bachelor’s degree in Earth Sciences, volcanology specialty (University of Clermont-Fd 2, France). “Treatments of geochemistry data (major and trace elements) from MORB and calculation of melting rate with numeric modeling”
Two-years university degree in Earth Sciences, chemistry specialty (University of Paris 12, France).
First year at Institut Géologique Albert de l’Apparent, France.
- 2007-2008 : Lecturer, Université Montpellier II, France.
- Present : Lecturer, Université de La Réunion, France
64 hours / year (teaching assistant during my PhD) for first and 2nd year students; 96 hours / year and 192 hours / year (lecturer).
- Magmatic, sedimentary and metamorphic petrology. Microscopic and macroscopic observations and field excursions
- Geochemistry (major and trace elements, radiogenic and stable isotopes, datations)
- CAPES and AGREG preparation (geophysics, geochemistry and petrology)
- Drouin, M., Ildefonse, B., and Godard, M. Microstructure of highly impregnated lithosphere: a study of the olivine-rich troctolites from the Atlantis Massif (Mid-Atlantic Ridge, 30°N, IODP Hole U1309D. Submitted to EPSL.
- Drouin, M., Godard, M., Ildefonse, B., Bruguier, O., Garrido, C. J. (2009). Geochemical and petrographic evidence for magmatic impregnation in the oceanic lithosphere at Atlantis Massif, Mid-Atlantic Ridge (IODP Hole U1309D, 300N), Chem. Geol., doi: 10.1016/j.chemgeo.2009.02.013 PDF
- Seyler, M., Lorand, J.-P, Dick, H.J.B., and Drouin, M., 2007. Pervasive melt percolation reactions in ultra-depleted refractory harzburgites at the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, 15°20’N: ODP Hole 1274A. Contrib. Mineral. Petrol. 153(3): 303-319.
- Cordier, C., Caroff M., Juteau, T., Fleutelot, C., Hémond, C., Drouin, M., Cotton, J., and Bollinger, C., 2007. Bulk-rock geochemistry and plagioclase zoning in lavas exposed along the northern flank of the Western Blanco Depression (North East Pacific): Insight into open-system magma chamber processes. Lithos 99: 289-311.
- Ildefonse, B., Blackman, D.K., John, B.E., Ohara, Y., Miller, D.J., MacLeod, C.J., and the IODP Expeditions 304-305 Scientists*, 2007. Oceanic core complexes and crustal accretion at slow-spreading ridges. Geology 35: 623-626. (*Drouin M)
- Blackman, D.K., Ildefonse, B., John, B.E., Ohara, Y., Miller, D.J, MacLeod, C.J., and Expedition 304/305 Scientists*, 2006. Oceanic Core Complex Formation, Atlantis Massif - Expeditions 304 and 305, Sites U1309–U1311. Proceedings of the Integrated Ocean Drilling Program 304-305. Texas A&M University, College Station TX. (* Drouin M)
- Miller, D.J., Abratis, M., Christie, D., Drouin, M., Godard, M., Ildefonse, B., Maeda, J, Weinsteiger, A., Yamasaki, T., Suzuki, Y., Niino, A., Sato, Y. and Takeda, F., submitted. Data report: microprobe analyses of primary mineral phases (plagioclase, pyroxene, olivine, and spinel) from Site U1309, Atlantis Massif, Integrated Ocean Drilling Program Expedition 304/305. In : Blackman, D.K., Ildefonse, B., John, B.E., Ohara, Y., Miller, D.J., MacLeod, C.J., and the Expedition 304/305 Scientists, 2006. Proc. IODP, 304/305: College Station TX (Integrated Ocean Drilling Program Management International, Inc.). doi:10.2204/iodp.proc.304305.2006
- Ildefonse, B., Drouin, M., Violay, M., and Pezard, P. Data report: electrical properties of gabbroic and troctolitic rocks from IODP Hole U1309D, Atlantis Massif. In : Blackman, D.K., Ildefonse, B., John, B.E., Ohara, Y., Miller, D.J., MacLeod, C.J., and the Expedition 304/305 Scientists, 2006. Proc. IODP, 304/305: College Station TX (Integrated Ocean Drilling Program Management International, Inc.). doi:10.2204/iodp.proc.304305.2006
B. Ildefonse, M. Drouin, and M. Godard, 2009. Highly impregnated slow-spread lithosphere : microstructure and geochemistry of olivine-rich troctolites from IODP Hole U1309D. Geophysical Research Abstracts, Vol. 11, EGU2009-4118
B. Ildefonse, M. Drouin, M. Violay, and P.A. Pezard, 2009. Electrical properties of gabbroic and troctolitic rocks from IODP Hole U1309D, Mid-Atlantic Ridge, 30°N. Geophysical Research Abstracts, Vol. 11, EGU2009-3737-3
Drouin, M., Godard, M., Ildefonse, B., 2007. Origin of olivine-rich gabbroic rocks from the Atlantis Massif (MAR 30°N, IODP Hole U1309D): petrostructural and geochemical study. Geophysical Research Abstracts, Vol. 9, 06550, 2007. SRef-ID: 1607-7962/gra/EGU2007-A-06550
Drouin, M., Godard, M., Ildefonse, B., 2007. Origin of Olivine-Rich Troctolites From IODP Hole U1309D in the Atlantis Massif (Mid-Atlantic Ridge): Petrostructural and Geochemical Study. Eos Trans. AGU, 88(52), Fall Meet. Suppl., Abstract T53B-1300.
Drouin, M., Godard, M., Ildefonse, B., 2007. Geochemistry of clinopyroxene, plagioclase and olivine from olivine-rich troctolites and gabbros of IODP Hole U1309D: An in-situ ICP-MS and HR-ICPMS study. Hawaii, Exp. IODP 304/305 post-cruise meeting.
Drouin, M., Ildefonse, B., and Godard, M., 2007. Origin of olivine-rich troctolites from the Atlantis Massif (MAR 30°N, IODP Hole U1309D): petrostructural and geochemical study. Hawaii, Exp. IODP 304/305 post-cruise meeting.
Drouin, M., M. Godard, and B. Ildefonse, 2006. Composition of olivine-rich gabbroic rocks at the Atlantis Massif (MAR 30°N, IODP site U1309D). In situ trace element geochemistry. Mission Moho Workshop (IODP-MI/JOI/Ridge 2000/InterRidge), Portland, 7-9 sept 2006.
Drouin, M., Godard, M., and Ildefonse, B., 2006. Composition of olivine-rich gabbroic rocks at the Atlantis Massif (MAR30°N, IODP Hole U1309D). In situ trace element geochemistry. Eos Trans. AGU, 87 (52), Fall Meet. Suppl., Abstract B31B-1097.
Garrido, C.J., Drouin, M., Godard, M., and Paulick, H., 2006. Petrogenesis of a highly differentiated section of oceanic crust drilled at the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, 14-16◦ N (ODP Leg 209, Site 1275D). Geophysical Research Abstracts, Vol. 8, 10325.
Nozaka, T., Abratis, M., Andreani, M., Beard, J.S., Delacour, A., Drouin, M., Frost, B.R., Fryer, P., McCaig, A., Ohara, Y., and the Shipboard Scientific Parties of IODP Expeditions 304 and 305, 2006. Multiple vein/dike-related alteration, metasomatism and thermal metamorphism of the oceanic lower crust at IODP Site U1309, Mid-Atlantic Ridge [19th General Meeting of the International Mineralogical Association, Kobe, Japan, 23–28 July 2006].
Frost, B.R., Beard, J.S., Abratis, M., Andreani, M., Delacour, A., Drouin, M., Fryer, P., McCaig, A., Nozaka, T., Ohara, Y., and IODP 304/305 Shipboard Science Party, 2005. Importance of silica activity to the serpentinization processes: insights from microrodingites in IODP Hole U1309D. Eos, Trans. Am. Geophys. Union, 86(52):V51B-1483. (Abstract)
McCaig, A., Frost, B.R., Beard, J.S., Abratis, M., Andreani, M., Delacour, A., Drouin, M., Fryer, P., Ozaka, T., Ohara, Y., and IODP Expedition 304/305 Scientific Party, 2005. Alteration and fluid flow recorded in a 1400 m section of oceanic gabbros beneath a detachment fault at 30°N Mid-Atlantic Ridge, (IODP Site U1309). Eos Trans. AGU, 86 (52), Fall Meet. Suppl., Abstract T41D-1335.
McCaig, A., Abratis, M., Andreani, M., and Drouin, M., 2005. Reaction-induced microcracking and fluid flow into the oceanic crust beneath an extensional detachment fault at 30°N, IODP Site U1309. Geophys. Res. Abstr., 7:09676.
IODP Hole U1309D (IODP Exp. 304-305, 30°N) and ODP Site 1275 (ODP Lag 209, 15°45’N) sampled two oceanic core complexes, at the Mid-Atlantic Ridge. The recovered rocks are mostly gabbroic with some very primitive and olivine rich (Ol>70%). In Hole U1309D, trace element compositions of clinopyroxene and plagioclase poikiloblasts from olivine-rich rocks indicate that they crystallized from the same melt in all lithologies. Olivine trace element compositions are in disequilibrium with the two other minerals. Olivine crystallographic preferred orientations are weak, with a relatively strong uncommon  concentration but consistent with deformation by dislocation creep with activation of the high-temperature (010)  slip system, commonly described in asthenospheric mantle. The joint study of geochemical processes and microstructures in these rocks suggest a complex crystallization history in an open system with percolation of large volume of MORB-type melt and interaction with the depleted shallow mantle. Olivine-rich rocks are interpreted as the ultimate residue of these melt-mantle reaction processes. At Site 1275, the formation of the more evolved rocks of the gabbroic series is not related to the impregnation event creating olivine-rich rocks. These rocks represent late magmatic injections, which are completely crystallized at depth as gabbroic pockets. The results presented in this thesis are consistent with the formation of oceanic core complexes associated with relatively strong magmatic activity, and with the crystallization of most of melt in the lithosphere without basaltic counterpart erupted on the seafloor.